7:11 PM

Monday 3/31/10

|

Meet at Timpanogos High School's Track at 0900. (please be on time)

"Griff"


For time:
Run 800 meters
Run 400 meters backwards
Run 800 meters
Run 400 meters backwards

This wod will be scaled for each individual's skill level


In honor of USAF SSgt Travis L. Griffin, 28, who was killed April 3, 2008 in the Rasheed district of Baghdad by an IED strike to his vehicle. Travis is survived by his son Elijah.

Today and throughout the year we honor those who have died in the line of duty by doing the Hero wods here at Viking Crossfit.

"For those of us who undertake these physical tests, the psychological effects of performing a Hero workout are tremendous. It’s easy to treat these prescriptions as any workout of the day, but for those who take the time to learn about the heroes they honor, the WODs can
become as spiritual and emotionally demanding as they are physically grueling.
When keeping the stories behind the real-life heroes in mind, slowing down during a Hero workout becomes harder to justify. When the pain of pushing harder becomes too great, I am reminded of the sacrifice these men made for my freedom, and my struggle becomes
laughable. And when I compare my temporary suffering to the lifelong sorrow felt by the grieving families of these men, dropping the bar becomes an embarrassment to
my country. The Hero workout is more than a test of physical ability. It bridges the gap between the body and the mind, emotion and experience, and gives us the chance to do
more than just remember our soldiers. It gives us the chance to sweat, bleed, suffer and grieve for our fallen heroes one rep at a time".....
read more here, Fallen But Not Forgotten.


Click here for this week's schedule

12 comments:

Viking Crossfit said...

We will be doing this wod all together. I will have one stopwatch going. Feel free to bring a wrist watch if you would like though.

Amanda said...

This should be interesting. I don't think I've ever run backwards. That's just like crossfit, getting me to do things I've never done before. I'm not sure you'll want me doing this in public. Maybe I shouldn't wear my VCF t-shirt, just in case I'm an embarrassment to the gym.

AnnEE said...

If you need me to bring a bag to put over my head so as not to be identified with you people, done. :) Jason (Lee) and I should be there!

Kevin said...

My baby girl was born Thursday at about midnight, best justification ever for missing the last few WODs. I'll be there in the morning with my "backpeddling" shoes on.

Natalie said...

CONGRATULATIONS on your new little girl Kevin! That is so great! Yes, best excuse ever.

Wade Olsen said...

Jenny and I did this WOD once around a track when a bunch of people were playing tennis. If was so funny to glance over every couple times and see people staring, shaking their heads, and looking in amazement. Got to love it!!!

On another note, let's not only remember those who have paid the ultimate price but remember James as he is in harms way and Steve and Jeremy who will in a matter of days be in harms way. Be safe, keep your heads down, and your powder dry.

Wade

Mandy :) said...

Will and I did this on a track also right in the middle of soccer season. We got some strange looks. lol Won't be coming going to the American Fork Fire Fighters breakfast since I missed PG's on Saturday. Enjoy!!

Amanda said...

That was an AWESOME workout! Perfect for breaking the mental barrier. I can't believe I ran the whole thing, even the backwards part. The backwards running was surprisingly easier than I thought it would be, and I accomplished my goal of not falling down. Thanks, once again, for proving that I can do things I never thought I could. I was really proud of my time= 16:00. Good job everyone! That was a lot of fun. We should do more outside wods. Thanks Natalie!

Natalie said...

Great job today everyone! We had a good turn out and we had a lot of fun. Running backwards is such a great workout....and like Amanda said...Crossfit helps you do things you never thought you would or could. It was fun to run with you all too. :) Best time of the day....Ori with 12 min and change.

Plan on more wods outside now that the weather is finally normal. Happy Memorial Day everyone.

Jenn said...

I really wanted to go this morning, but this is actually the end of my work week and I'm exhausted.

I hope everyone has a great Memorial Day. Please remember the real reason for today. It's not about the grill outs and 72 hr sale-a-thons. It's about remembering those who have and continue to risk their lives to keep the USA awesome! AMERICAAAAA, HECK YEAH!!

AnnEE said...

We didn't get up early enough to come today, BUT, we did go to the gym and run. I was able to run for a mile without stopping, which, probably doesn't sound awesome, but for me, is HUGE. I wasn't even really out of breath, my lower back just was hurting super bad, so maybe I have to adjust my form? I haven't gotten on a treadmill and actually tried to run in probably about 8 or 9 months, so the fact that I did so well shocked me. I had a huge smile on my face the whole time. CROSSFIT WORKS!!!

Laura Holbrook said...

That was a great workout this AM. I have never run backwards. I am so glad that I didn't biff it and fall on my behind ;) Tomorrows wod looks tough but I'll be there!

Post a Comment