9:00 PM

Monday 5/3/10

Warm up + practice skill-of-the-month

WOD
:

5 rounds
Back squat, 3 reps
20 ring dips




















Welcome Jeanie to the gym!


Crossfit Etiquette

CrossFit gyms as a rule are not that big on formality. Shirts? On or off, go for it. Cussing? If it's toned down. Grunts, groans, screaming? Hey, whatever gets you through the WOD. Blood, sweat, tears? Short shorts, long shorts? Whatever floats your boat, man. Chalk? My life is covered in it. Just keep the powder-puffing to a minimum.

However, there are a few points of etiquette that should be covered. Good sportsmanship, support, and respect. That’s it. That is what we demand at [Viking CF] as well. Well, that and blood, sweat, and tears…but you can keep your firstborn. Seriously folks, all three points go hand in hand and are pretty much a no brainer.

1. Maintain good sportsmanship at all times. Don’t whine about the WOD being hard. I know it’s hard, I programmed it. Everyone else knows it’s hard, they are doing it. Do not get overly upset if you don’t make a lift. Do not angrily slam the bar to the ground, kick or hit it or any other equipment. Do not pout or sulk or walk around cursing. There are legions of people out there that would practically kill for the ability to attempt the lift that you are crying about. Don’t argue with a coach over form or ROM. Just do the rep again. First off, the coach is right; secondly, it’s only going to make you stronger; and besides, it’s only a workout anyway. And never ever whine about the record board. That is about as crass as it gets.

2. Respect. A CrossFit box is a temple. It is a place where lives are literally changed. We have all experienced this first hand. Treat it as such. No, you don’t have to whisper or light a candle or get down on your knees (you’ll be flat on your back soon, though). But, have some respect. Clean up after yourself and don’t leave your stuff lying around. Erase your scribbles off mats. Clean your blood off the bar and your sweat off the floor. You know, respect.

3. Support. Hey, listen up, just because it’s last doesn’t mean it’s least. You don’t have rivals here, you have teammates. You don’t have competitors, you have people who push you to do more, go faster, be better. Support them. Don’t just talk about yourself and your numbers, ask them how they are, what big lifts they have done recently, how is their training going. If you are done with your workout, run with someone on their last leg, gather around and cheer them on their last rep. Slap hands and pat shoulders, telling people what a great job they did, and mean it. If you see someone new, be friendly, introduce yourself, don’t be a hifalutin rock star. Try to remember how you felt at your first class. Absolutely be stoked about your progress and scores, but be stoked about everyone else’s too. If you are just hanging out, help out, never be too cool for school. Support. We are a community, folks, a pretty great one. And that is thanks to all of you here at Viking.

-
blog entry from Crossfit West Santa Cruz.

Click here for this week's schedule.

21 comments:

JohnsonOhana said...

I wanted to let you ladies know. I am hosting a bead party Saturday May 8th at my home, from 5:30-7:30. It is so fun and just in time for mothers day. If you like watch braclets you can create your own as well as earrings,and necklaces. I would love to see you there. My address is 331 w 625 n Lindon.

Mandy :) said...

The bead party sounds fun!!!
Wow Jeanie, what a great(your 1st) Crossfit pic. You rock!
I am willing to help out in whatever way I can with the Crossfit challenge thing. Because I do have a lot of times on my hands ;)

Clark said...

This morning's workout was a killer. It really highlighted for me how weak I am at my dips. A CrossFit friend recently commented on how essential the warm-up is and how we sometimes skimp on our warm-ups in exchange for a conversation. I definitely need to get in and get a solid warm-up that does NOT skimp on dips (especially if I ever want that muscle-up).

Trainers don't let us skimp on our warm-ups, and watch our form while we do our warm-ups. I think we'll do that much better in our WoDs if you'll also crack down on us before our WoD.

Mandy said...

Ha, that is funny Clark. Will said that to me. Less talking more warming up. lol I will admit, I am a talker. lol

Jeanie said...

Thanks Natalie for the pic! Thanks Mandy :-)

I really liked todays WOD but man do I need to work on my ring dips. Mandy, Will said the same thing to me today about warming up. I am now only allowed to socialize after I workout lol.

Anonymous said...

I don't know what you guys have been doing during the warm-up, but none of the trainers let me slack. I'm usually exhausted by the time we start the wod!

Blake said...

Ya great pic, just wait though, Nat will pick out your worst moments and post them for everyone to see soon enough.....JUST KIDDING NAT....I know you dont INTENTIONALLY, make me look like a Ra-tard!!!! (pronouce like the movie, The Hangover)

Will said...

Clark, I got no problems with hooking you up with a can of crackdown. Blake, I don't know what you're talking about. Every picture of you that I see Nat post you look like a fine specimen of manhood!
If anybody wants to see a good example of pre-wod behavior just watch Justus. I noticed today he came in was very friendly with everybody but got his warm up done and then stood in front of his bar and started getting focused. It was a good balance of socializing but still getting himself prepared physically and mentally for the wod. Granted he could have just been doing all his talking when I wasn't looking. :)
As far as warming up I've read that many of the elite CF performers do a fairly extensive warm up and they attribute their strong wod performance to their longer, harder warm up periods.
Along those lines, it's been said before and I have to agree that if I'm talking alot during a wod beyond a few words here and there I'm probably not going as hard as I can. (Yes, I have been guilty of that.)
And when I'm really hurting I could give a rats hind end what music is playing since it's just background noise at that point and it doesn't seem very important compared to the suffering.
That being said it is pretty cool that we have the type of atmosphere where you like the people that are around you and want to associate with them.
Keep in mind this is all just my opinion and my opinion isn't worth much at all.

Will said...

Yes Blake I got alot of time on my hands today since I don't really feel like working on the living room remodel.

Blake said...

I did say anything!!! Dont be so jumpy!!!

Will said...

You're kinda my idol Blake so I had to explain the time I spent on the long post so you wouldn't think poorly of me.

Jeanie said...

So just for fun I decided to try the CF Endurance workout today. Just curious if anyone has been doing these or did the WOD for today. For me it was 19 minutes of hell. All out efforts of 3min on, 3min off, 2min on, 2min off, 1min on, 1min off, 2min on, 2min off, 3min on, Done. I did them on my road bike and I don't have a computer so I don't have any real statistics but I did notice the following. Number of times I wanted to throw my bike in the ditch and quit-3. Number of times I almost tossed my cookies-4. Number of times I considered swerving into an oncoming car to end the misery-1. Number of cars that almost took me out-1 (that's pretty normal). I am glad it's over, my legs feel like Jello. If anyone else did it I would love to know what you thought.

Yes Will, I wore my pansy "kit" to go riding :-)

Natalie said...

Yes. Your warm-up is very important. It's the time you work on your weaknesses and goats. If you feel like you've mastered the basic CF warm-up, then start doing strict pull-ups or chest to bar pull-ups. Try ring push-ups, Glut-ham sit-ups, practice your double-unders, etc. Use this time wisely and efficiently. If you walk in late, you may only get to warm-up for a few minutes. Not a good idea. You need to warm up before doing these intense, explosive CF wods. If you feel like you need more attention during your warm-up, talk to the trainer. We are walking around helping everyone during the warm-up time and we want everyone to feel like they are getting individual attention as well.

Natalie said...

Jeanie, I hope to try the CF endurance wod tomorrow. Where did you do your biking?

Wade- what we might do is go ahead and have our CopsvsFirefightersvsMilitaryvsWomen wod on some upcoming Saturday. But do it again in this summer and make a big event of it. It will take some time to plan it all out. Also, a Viking Affiliate Cup team would be cool...we have some great athletes here at the gym.

Jeanie said...

Natalie, I head down towards Springville where there isn't a lot of traffic and there are no stop lights. I can show you where it is sometime.

Anonymous said...

Apparently, no one is taking my bid for an "old guys" team seriously. That's ok. I'll just sleep in on Saturday...
JH

Natalie said...

Oh sorry Jim, I forgot to add vs.oldguys. Or, you can just join the womens team. :0

Anonymous said...

Well...I "do" have man boobs...
JH

Mandy :) said...

My arms are so dead I can't even hold up a cell phone. ha ha ha

T said...

I'm coming to the bead party! Thanks for the invite!

Anonymous said...

I'm only coming to the bead party if Blake and Phil will be there.

Post a Comment