9:23 PM

Tuesday 01/13/09

|

For time 30, 25, 20, 15, 10, and 5 rep rounds of:
Virtual shoveling [wmv] [mov]
Pull-ups

Meet Erick Johnson
Erick is our newest trainer here at Viking Crossfit. You may have met him at the gym already. We are excited to have him join our group and "suck less" with us. Here is more about Erick....

Born and raised here in Orem and graduated from Mountain View High School. My hobbies included Mtn. Biking, Snow & Water Skiing, anything outdoors and sleeping. I Moved to Logan and attended Utah State University receiving a bachelors in Mechanical Engineering and consequently gave up skiing and sleeping. I joined the military while still a student and after graduation attended Officer Candidate School in Pensacola where the Marines got me in my best shape since High School, running 1.5 miles in 8:38 and I hate running. After that fitness took a back seat to Nuclear Power School in Charleston SC for one year, still giving up sleep and skiing but now gave up Mtn Biking for obvious reasons (NO Mtns). From there I moved to Groton CT and picked up the fitness regiment of "working out" until I sprained my ankle playing basketball. I also started sleeping and snow skiing, howevr it was difficult to mtn bike in snow After Groton I was stationed on the USS Alaska, an SSBN out of Bangor Sub Base Washington for 3 years. I again gave up my hobbies for months at a time. Needless to say it is difficult to get a good workout on a submarine, but I gained an appreciation for the row machine and pull ups. Long days and short weeks gave way and before too long we were on our way to Virginia Beach where I was stationed at the Center for Navy Leadership on Dam Neck Naval Station. I began "working out" in earnest at this time as my time demands were lessened. I also temporarily swapped Mtn Biking for golf as we lived on the 10th tee of the base golf course, and enjoyed more sleep. Living around "Fitness Freaks" (Seals, Marines, Rangers) made it harder to workout as I struggled to keep up. My stay in VA Beach was short lived and before I knew it I was in Baghdad for a year. I learned about Crossfit from the LT I relieved and took over the course from a Marine 1st LT after he left. I learned most of my technique from watching Nicole and Eva on short videos. We had about 30 regulars doing Crossfit on our Sunday Morning class. I learned more from teaching than doing. I miss doing Murph with our 45-50# Kevlar vests but somehow I know I will get over it. After returning home from Iraq in May of 08 I made preparations to leave the military and recieved my Level 1 Cert at GSX Athletics in Fort Worth TX. I now work as a Business Development Manager for Emerson Process Management. That's fancy for Salesman. I had been looking for a gym to continue my crossfit addiction and am happy to have been invited to Viking Crossfit. You will see me around the gym with my wife Camie and every now and then my 5 kids; Kiah(11), Kesli(9), Isaac(6), and twins Sadie and Saylor(4). I am excited to be training again and look forward to the friendly competition.

"Nobody said it would be easy we only said it would be worth it"

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

So I read that the affiliate challenge will more than likely be the wod that is off the main page for Tuesday. Any truth to that? Inquiring minds want to know. Looks like a "fun" one. Guys like Blake and Phil will probably eat it up. Little guys like me will probably get eaten up by it.

Anonymous said...

Will- that is the wod we are doing Wednesday but the other affiliates changed their minds and are doing something else. So it doesn't look like we will participate in the challenge this month. (believe me, you will all thank me)

Anonymous said...

I'll take your word for it Nat. Thank you! :)

Anonymous said...

Virtual shoveling and pull up wod. My hands are SOOORE! I'm glad it was a big group this morning. Would have sucked to suffer alone on this one. Glad Blake was there since he shamed me into doing this as rx'd. Nice job to everyone that was there suffering. Sweet tears on Brookes hands. (No, they wouldn't be so sweet if it was my hands) Those are gonna sting! Can't believe she didn't trust me to cut off the hanging chunks. ;)

I like Blakes idea of collecting all the torn skin in a jar. It could be more than just a showpiece though Blake. Consider this,,,Mouth getting a little dry. Pop a chunk of skin out of the jar in there and gnaw away to get the saliva flowing. Problem solved. Probably zone friendly too. Can't be many calories in skin.

Anonymous said...

GROSSSSSSS! I gagged just reading your post Will! And Blake, collect all the skin in a jar?
What the heck was going on this morning at the gym???? lol
Sounds like you all did great on the shoveling.

Erick- that is a great picture!

Viking CrossFit said...

For some reason after reading your post Will I am having a flashback to Silence of the Lambs.

Sounds like a good class this morning you guys really worked your grip. Vitamin E cut that loose skin off with a razor blade. Keep up the good work.

Jason

Anonymous said...

Heellooo Clarice!

Anonymous said...

Creeeeepy!

Tessa and Jeff said...

Wow, I'm gonna have to agree with Natalie. I was seriously gagging reading Will's post too!
Well, this WOD sure was a killer. My back was suprisingly taking a lot of the hit (just usin those shovelin muscles), my grip, as Cody said everyone said... was SHOT! I could barely hang on to the "shovel". So... I did the WOD as RX'd (pretty excited about that since the "snow on the shovel" was considerably heavy); time: 22:39. I came up a little short of Will's time (1 min 19 sec to be exact, but who's counting?), but let me tell ya... this WOD was hard! I was really amazed with people's times! People did awesome on this one. And guess what? MY HANDS DID NOT RIP! (sorry Brooke:()Can you believe it? I think I have my grip down... sweet! Kevin and Mandy did awesome too! I only got to watch their first round but they were "smokin" it! (get it?)
Ok, well that's enough... see the night crew at 6 tomorrow!

Anonymous said...

Calluses hurt like h#$*, but 12:26 as Rx'd. Did main site WOD this PM...12:21 Rx'd.

Anonymous said...

Okay, Will these warmed up enchiladas are not sounding so good. I should have waited to read this. Gag!!!
Shoveling..... I think I have done enough of that lately to last a life time. ugghhhh. The WOD was fun but my hands kill and back is just uncomfortable. I would not say I am in pain. Just tired. lol My time was 27:?? I had 15# on the end of the 45# bar. And I used the band for my pull ups thinking it would be easier then jumping pullups. NOT!! lol Guess that is waht I get for taking the easy road. Kevin was working hard. I had to leave on his last round. You rock "MUD". Sounds like this mornings class was a blast. Oh and Tessa..... Mud and I will get you back! woo ah ah ah. We will make sure the next hardest WOD we get it done before you. Woo ah ah ah and then we will stay and watch you. woo ah ah ah and need say no more!! ;) Okay done with my book.

Justin Williams said...

Man today was hard. But then again everyday is hard. The shoveling was hard but the pullups are what are killing me I really need to work on them! My time was ok at 22:30. My lower back is feelin a little sore as well as my hands! Good job to will Blake rob and Brooke this morning! Rob your an animal! Are you guys tomorrow

Viking CrossFit said...

Jason will be in tomorrow all day

Post a Comment