35-30-25-20-15-10
Virtual Shoveling
Box Jumps

With an Olympic bar holding only one plate (men use 45 pound plate, women use 25 pound plate), touch the plate on one side of the barrier then the other for one "rep." Barrier is 24."
Virtual shoveling [wmv] [mov]


Women and Strength Training

Women’s bodies respond differently than mens when it comes to strength training. One of the most common concerns for women when first beginning CrossFit is the possibility of “getting big” lifting all that heavy weight; but experts say otherwise:

“Muscles cannot get “longer” without some rather radical orthopedic surgery. Muscles don’t get leaner—you do. There is no such thing as “firming and toning.” There is only stronger and weaker.

The vast majority of women cannot get large, masculine muscles from barbell training. There is such a profound difference in male and female testosterone levels that the strength differences between men and women are almost entirely accounted for by hormone level.”

So what you CAN expect to get out of CrossFit is what you are told by your coaches when you first sign up: “You WILL get in the best shape of your life”. It takes some hard work though. We know the secret to fitness and health, and we also know all the hard work is well worth it.

“As CrossFit grows and it becomes harder to ignore the results of honest work done at high intensities, the media are taking notice. You pretty much get out of an effort what you put into it. Effective exercise is more like training for athletics and less like lying around on the floor.”

-Quotes from the Crossfit Journal

7 comments:

Viking Crossfit said...

Crossfit women rock!
Check out this video from the Utah/Nevada sectionals...you can catch a glimpse of Erick a couple of times...http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/Games2010_Utsect_Highlights.wmv

Anonymous said...

On the VS, when or can you switch hands? You lead with left near the plate for how long? I know up and back equals one rep, but are you expected to do all 35 reps in the same position?

Wade Olsen said...

So back when I was doing CrossFit on my own at the local global gym (Gold's) I would do the CF Main Site WODs. One day a WOD with virtual shoveling came up and the night before when I saw the WOD, I thought to myself... "you've got to be kidding me". There was no way I was going to do this in front of everybody at Gold's. Not to mention I thought I wouldn't get a good workout.

So the next day I went in to Gold's with another WOD in mind. Wheb I turned the corner to the bar weights, I saw 2 different couples knocking out virtual shoveling. So I thought, why not. Started the WOD and let's just the saying holds true that CrossFit WODs that seem like they'll be easy, usually kick your trash.

This is going to be really interesting after heavy deadlifts.

Wade

Anonymous said...

YEAH!!!! Virtual shoveling.....i'm so excited.

Jenn said...

Blake, you suck!

Anonymous said...

Hey everyone. I did the wod this morning with our new friend "virtual shovel". Boy, what a joyous experience. In fact, I've spent most of today in "virtual traction". Doing todays wod following a PR in dead lifts was a new level in self torture. But, we survive. I'm not complaining, mind you. I just marvel at the creative/evil forces behind Crossfit. I came in from the workout this morning and asked my wife, "Do you see a handle sticking out of my back? Cause, I'm pretty sure I got knifed on the way home..."
Can't wait to see what tomorrow brings. Good luck everyone!
Jim H

Natalie said...

Oh Blake, you have a lot of people mad at you today. :0 Great job am classes! This is a new movement for a lot of you and you all did well. I did it this afternoon, used 45# which was hard, but I know it would have been a lot harder with heavier weight. Next time. 15:05 for me. Tough but good. But hey, if it get's me looking like the girl on the front page...all do it all day long. :)

Post a Comment